Pages

Tuesday, December 15, 2020

CHRISTMAS AT THE FARM

CHRISTMAS AT THE FARM

Memories Within Memories

Between1988 and 1995, two Heard Cousins, Sarah Jolie Allardyce Rhine and Frances Ruth Jackson Freeman published a Family Newsletter — WE HEARD —for the descendants of James Addison Heard and Clora Frances Nolen Heard.  Each issue included Family History, Current Family News, and Childhood Reminisces. Patricia  Rogers Heard saved many copies, and recently shared these.  Over the intervening 30 years, the “Current News” became reminisces, while the Reminisces became Family History.  In this series of Blogs, we are reprinting materials from WE HEARD.   The original articles are printed in Black; comments and new information are inserted in Red.  With thanks to Pat, who made it possible, we dedicate these Blogs to the Memory of:  SARA JOLIE ALLERDYCE RHINE


WE HEARD


VOLUME I.                      December, 1988.                       Number 2


A CHRISTMAS MEMORY



For all the early years of my life, (1940-1957) Christmas Day was spent at Mawmaw and Pawpaw Heard’s farm.  There was always lots of love, food, and cousins.  I cannot remember much about presents — being together seemed the point, and the joy, of those holidays.  I recall only one very special gift — Aunt Vera brought me a puppy so small she carried it in her pocket.


There were always great meals, including Christmas dinner, but somehow Grandma’s wonderful breakfasts are best remembered.  To me, they were an impossible extravagance.  I can visualize the loaded table.  In the center was a huge platter of quail, fried a golden brown (the Uncles had hunted the day before).  Sometimes tender young squirrel would be similarly lightly breaded and fried, but more often, the squirrel would be stewed with a rich light gravy in which tiny fleets of pepper floated.  Sugar cured ham, sliced thin, and browned in its own juices would cover another plate, and by its side would be a bowl of redeye gravy.  Beside this ham was a dish of unsurpassed delight.  To prepare it, Grandma took red sweet potatoes baked to creamy softness, sliced them lengthwise, and butter-browned the slices to a golden crispness.


But the star of every breakfast was Grandma’s biscuits.  For many years after she had an electric range, she kept the old wood stove in her kitchen, strictly for baking (and keeping the kitchen warm). There was an assortment of wonderful things to eat with the biscuits.  Big cakes (pressed circles,1/2 lb. each) of pale yellow, freshly churned butter sat beside fig and pear preserves (and of course apple butter for John Ballis).  I especially liked to cover a biscuit with gravy and then pour fresh ribbon cane syrup over the whole.  One of the cousins christened this combination, a “mess,” but it tasted better than it looked.


At Grandma’s table, you didn’t ask for simply “milk.”  You had to specify whether you wanted “sweet” milk or the thin, bluish “buttermilk” with specks of butter still floating in it.


Other more traditional “breakfast” foods were there, but in quantities that made them seem strange.  Huge bowls of scrambled eggs, grits, or oatmeal appeared and were refilled as they emptied. 

 

There was one dish I never tasted.  I didn’t like the look or the aroma or even the name.  I encountered this dish again, many years later, at Sunday brunch at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel.  The chef called it “clotted cream;” Grandma Heard called it “clabber.”  (It looked and smelled the same.)


In the evenings we would gather around the fireplace in the living room (It was the only warm room in the house.). We would strip the outer coating, and chew freshly-cut sugar cane, then throw the pulp into the fire. None of the modern chemical salts can recreate the colorful flames that spewed from that burning pulp.  Sometimes we would shell and eat nuts, reserving some for pies and cakes. Mawmaw would serve rich, creamy eggnog (nog reserved for adults); and everyone would tell wonderful stories. (Oh how I wish I could hear those stories again.)


Part of the excitement (at least for the children) always centered on the sleeping arrangements.  At least once during the evening one of the Uncles would announce that there were not enough beds and the children who fell asleep first would be hung up on coat hooks for the night.  For years I believed the viability of this threat, mostly because I never could figure out where we would all sleep.


When the size of the crowd permitted, the kids slept four to six to a bed.  Mawmaw achieved economy by making our bed up sideways, after all, we weren’t very long. (We slept cross-wise.).  I feel great sympathy for anyone who has never spent the night snuggled in a warm bed with four or five cousins.  


When there weren’t enough beds, the left-over kids slept on pallets on the floor in the warm living room.  As the fire burned slowly down, we whispered and giggled.  At fairly regular intervals some parent would shout out a warning of the dire consequences that would certainly follow if we did not quiet down and go to sleep.  When things got out of hand, we would hear a pair of feet hit the floor.  By the time the overhead light in the living room went on, we would all be still as mice, pretending deep slumber.


Florence (Adele Heard Larguier) inherited the family gift of story-telling.  She spun the most exciting, never-ending tales, transmitted in a terse whisper in the semidarkness of the flickering fire, over the background ticking of the big old mantle clock.


When the crowd was “too large,” some of the older cousins were occasionally lent out to neighbors.  When Sara and I were in our early teens, our “turn” came.  We were sent to Aunt Bertha’s parents’ home on a bitter cold December night.  This past summer, we revisited that old house, now vacant.  Like most old Louisiana homes it was built with more concern for summer heat than for winter cold.  (It was a Dog-Trot, with the center hall extended to form a long porch with a room on one side.). The spare bedroom was located off an open porch.  It not only had cross ventilation, it had floor ventilation, through quarter-inch spaces between the floor-boards.  The only place colder that that bedroom was the outhouse, that could only be reached by venturing across an unfamiliar, frozen wasteland.  When I hear someone grow nostalgic about the “good old days,” I remember that night and shake my head in appreciation of central heating and indoor plumbing.  


However, I would be more than willing to live that miserable night again if it could be preceded by an evening around that fire and followed by one of MawMaw’s holiday breakfasts.  (Indeed, I would trade everything to see those dear faces and hear again their voices.)


1 comment:

  1. What a way to grow up as a child! A lot of my thinking and ways, I’m sure, were formed at Gram-maw’s house at Pitkin. I guess Gram-maw was “cheap” summer-camp for Mom & Dad, and company for Gram-maw! When I was old enough to dress myself, I would stay for a couple of weeks most summers until I was in junior high school; sometimes Barbra Ann would be there and sometimes Pat & Linda would be there, and Lydia would come too. I built tree houses in the big Live Oak in the chicken yard adjacent to the grist mill shed, and hunted Armadillos with Barbra Ann. We put a hurting on them wit a single shot .22 rifle, when Spot, the Cocker Spaniel mix, would run them to ground! So many great memories I have from those days! One more memory; Breakfast at Gram-Maw’s sometime consisted of about any thing you could think of: fried chicken, pork chops, bacon, scrambled eggs, country gravy, grits, cat head biscuit, sweet & butter milk, and anything left over from yesterday’s supper! I don’t think Gram Maw knew what cereal was! During those hot, humid, Louisiana summers, when I got sleepy after lunch, I would sometimes follow Spot, and crawl under the house and scoop me out a body size depression in the “cool” soft “red dirt” and catch a nap! Of course, when an adult with a car or truck were there, all the kids would pile in for a trip to the creek, where the water was so cold, that your lips would turn blue after a few minutes in the water! One time I remember that there were no adults with a car, and Linda, Pat & I decided we would walk to the creek; we walked the several miles and went swimming without Gram-Maw’s knowledge or permission! She got worried when we were gone for several hours, and sent Uncle Meridy to look for us. He found us walking back to the house; he let us continue walking the several miles back to the house, telling us he couldn’t let us ride because he didn’t have any auto insurance!!! I also remember one summer I was there, when Hurricane Audrey came through; it was the first hurricane I can remember, what an experience, but that storm didn’t even rock that old house! I guess those are some of my fondest memories as a child, even though I threw a fit when Mom & Dad would leave me there by myself! But after they left I would settle down and play with Spot, and forget that I was mad! After all, I had the whole place to myself; I got to check all the chickens for eggs, pester the cows & try to milk them, pick & eat green pears off the trees, pick & eat the figs, help Gram-maw harvest the garden, shell purple hull peas & butter-beans, pick peaches out of the peach orchard, and the most fun part, taking showers in the outdoor shower stall! I can’t think of a better way for a young boy to learn to amuse himself, mostly by himself, for several weeks during those summers at Gram-maws!

    ReplyDelete