Pages

Thursday, May 24, 2018

ON RETIREMENT

PRESENTATION BY LAUREN DECILLIS

For those of you who know Dr. Frances Freeman, you know that she is passionate about giving people the opportunity to show their potential.  She was a social activist to the core, even before it was in vogue to be a feminist.  I have heard some truly smashing stories about her glorious New York days in the 70's when she worked alongside our feminist founders to bring the Women's Rights Movement to launch point.  She already had the Civil Rights Movement experience to draw from in the 60's, where equality and inclusion were new, raw words. Thank you for starting to say those words, Fran.  

Frances has had many careers, hats, roles...from journalist to teacher to scientist to Methodist Minister.  Through all of those years, even though I did not know her then, I'm fairly certain that every new friend was met with that same remarkable smile, gracious observations, and curious questions.  Who are you and what are you made of?  Human communication master...

Which leads me to her incredible research and academic background in Speech and Hearing Sciences, contributing to advances in the treatment of stuttering and disorders of the brain. I could go on about this, but you can Google her and find out what she's made of...or can you?

You probably won't find an article about the support and love Frances has for her family, old friends, colleagues and flowers. I have been on the receiving end of Fran's support over the last few years, as I had the pleasure of working with her in her latest passion for building faculty diversity at UT Dallas.  In her role as Assistant Vice President, she has made inroads in a road that was gravel. "Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light."  Yes, I know that's an Eagles song.

She made great inroads and I'm proud of her work.  Now, she is retiring, for the 4th time.  Goodness, let's hope we can pick up where you gracefully left off, and that you have a rollicking good time on a shimmering new road. Congratulations to my friend and colleague, Frances J. Freeman.

No comments:

Post a Comment